Thursday, September 9, 2010

we made it

6 suitcases
3 carry ons
2 adults
2 kids
1 stroller
loaded in the car on our way to the airport....
got to the airport loaded all the luggage on one of those little carts and made our way to the ticket counter, luckily there was no line, and i just have to say that i have NEVER dealt with a nicer person at the ticket counter in my life. this woman was amazing, not only did she give my dad a pass to go through security with us, she didn't charge us for ANY of our bags, i was SHOCKED! it was going to cost us $150!

it was a good thing she let my dad come back because this was by far the hardest part of the trip (yes, including the 9 hour flight). going through security is stressful enough when you're alone, add on 3 giant carry ons, 2 kids (that did NOT want to stand in line), and a stroller (which is apparently only for looks because nobody would sit in it).... and i was sweating before we even went through the metal detectors.

we finally made it to the gate, ate some lunch and said some sad good-byes to pa. the first flight was to Vancouver, less that 40 min. the boys loved it and did great. then we had a 3 hour layover in Vancouver. i thought it would be challenging keeping the kids entertained but it wasn't... we walked and ran along the moving sidewalks for over an hour, they had a giant fish tank that we watched for a long time, they even had a little kids toy area which was great!

this is when we met the 2nd nicest ticket agent ever.... our seats were not originally next to each other, in fact we were almost at opposite ends of the plan (which defeats the whole purpose of my mom flying over with me). the ticket agent told us the flight was full and it would be really hard to try and seat us together, but she would try, she'd let us know about an hour before the flight, when she got back from her break. when she got back she came and found us and had our boarding passes all printed and ready for us... sitting together. what a huge relief!

we boarded the plane around 8pm, which is when adam usually goes to bed, he started crying for milk and his blankie as soon as we sat down. i had wanted to wait until we took off so the sucking on his cup would help his ears... but he couldn't wait. much to my surprise he fell asleep right away.... and stayed asleep... until 2 hours before we landed!! blake stayed awake for a couple hours and watched a movie, then when they finally turned off the lights he fell asleep too.... and stayed asleep... until we landed! i could not have asked for a better flight, even though i didn't sleep AT ALL, it went amazingly smooth! i only had to change adam one time, blake didn't have to go at all on the plane, non of us had problems with our ears on take off or landing, no crying, no whining....considerably better than most days at home! :)

when we landed in London at the end of the ramp there was a cart just sitting there, someone had left it...... we wouldn't have made it through customs without it! also because we had kids, one customs agent put us right in the front of the line (the gigantic 2 hour line!). we got through customs, got our bags, loaded them on our cart (which proved to be quite challenging this time around-one less pair of hands, tired, excited, stressed, wanting to see daddy, having to go potty, etc.)

then we saw him...

blake's face lit up like you wouldn't believe, adam practically jumped out of the stroller (he would have if he wasn't strapped in) and it was all i could do not to just drop everything on the ground and go running for him myself!

over all the trip went really well! i don't want to have to do it again for a long time, but i was pleasantly surprised by how well it went!

i could not, however, have done it without my mom (and dad through security in seattle!)... she helped so much and i am so grateful that she came with me!

now on to exploring London....

13 comments:

Vashti said...

I can't believe they slept the whole way! What a blessing! This made me tear up, the part about being reunited again (gee I wonder why). I can't wait to see pictures of your adventures!
PS-I sent you an email ;)

Jayme said...

So happy it went so well!! Have a great time.

Peter and Lesha said...

that is so great and that totally made me cry, so glad your mom could go with you:) so can't wait to hear about your adventures. have a great time and be safe.

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you're all together again. I bet Jonathon was just as excited. Yay for your mom coming along too. You are going to have so much fun.

THE CONKS said...

It sounds like everything went about as good as they could have. Yeah, what a relief for you. Well we miss you already:) The boys have been asking to go to Blakes Pa's house. I hope you continue to blog. Have fun!!

Sarah said...

So sweet! I am tearing up over your reunion. It must be SO nice to be together again. Glad it was such a smooth trip.

Keep'n up with the Cameron said...

Totally started crying reading this!! So glad you made it safe and that you are all together again!!! Can't wait to see pics of the adventure.

On another note I keep laughing because every time I see you've posted on FB or now blogged I think to myself...wow, you can do that in LOndon!!! Whoa, I know! lol!

Jenni said...

great trip over! can't wait to see posts from england!

Elizabeth said...

This is so great! What a wonderful way to let everyone know that all is well and that your trip went so smoothly! The great adventure begins. We send our love to you all. Grandma and Grandpa

Lindsay said...

Sounds wonderful. I can't wait to hear how much fun you have. I was in London for 3 days in high school--and wished I could have had more time to explore. Make sure you take a trip up to Scotland while your there. It's also a gem! Yeah for families.

The Watson's... said...

Amazing! It made me all teary eyed. I'm so glad that you were so blessed on your flight! Have a great adventure. Wish I could come visit!

Anonymous said...

That was SO sweet about your reactions to seeing Jonathon! Gaul :), you made me cry- sooo sweet! I'm so glad everything went well! Oh, I'm not sure when you last wrote comments on my blog- but I just read them this morning and THANK YOU- you are so sweet! I just may, maybe feel motivated to get out a run- I so need to- and your comment was perfectly what I needed to hear this mornin! Miss you guys!

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

what a blessing everything went so well! i got all teary eyed reading about when you and kids saw Jonathon...i'm a crybaby though! glad everything went smoothly. ok, just realized i'm not hte only one that was crying...funny!